Sunday 21 March 2010

Alice Springs eternal


Another early start as my flight was at 8.10am and I had to get a taxi to the airport as P was doing a cycle ride for charity this morning. The fare was a hefty £45. I am beginning to haemorrhage money and I've hardly done anything.

I am staying at Annie's Inn yoff hostel and I think I must be the oldest by 20 years. There wasn't a great introduction to the hostel as some people had been waiting at the airport for 2 hours to be picked up but luckily I only had to wait 40 minutes. I have a feeling that I am not going to get much sleep tonight and not because I have managed to become Mrs Robinson but because there is constant music playing near the pool and I am sharing with 5 other girls who I haven't met yet. Still, it's only for one night and then again on Wednesday.

Alice Springs is a bit of a dump and it must be unbearable in mid summer - I am failing to see why anyone would want to live here by choice. I find the whole Aboriginal thing a bit sad as a lot of them are sitting around doing nothing or trying to sell their paintings and competing with the big art galleries. I'll try and buy some direct from the artists when I get back mid week.

I am off on a 3 day tour of Uluru (Ayers Rock), Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon starting at 6am tomorrow morning. If it's anything like today, we are going to boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment